Thursday, June 25, 2009

Starfish Story

(starfish stories are just stories that have either inspired us, as City Year Corps Members, and have made ripples, an effect that affects one positive after another. You can always have more than one, and you usually have tons, due to the sublimity of its effect. ) My Starfish story begins in the beginning of the year. Looking back I have noticed just the dramatic change of different students. T is one of those students. In the beginning of the year she was very shy and timid. Throughout the tutoring sessions she did not want to be in the spotlight and be asked to answer questions. As the year progressed she began to open up. Now her shell has been broken. She is also in my Starfish team. I enjoy having her around. She is so uplifting and helpful to the team. She knows how to interact with everyone on the team. Her smile just makes the day so much better. It’s just amazing how much she has changed since the beginning. From not wanting to be asked to answer a question to raising her hand for anything she knows the answers too. I’m so proud of her. I remember wondering how I was going to teach her to enjoy sharing with the group. All I have done is persistently ask her to share and continue with the bond that has now become “hello Big Brother Fat”. Yes, I am proud and honored to be her brother. I can’t wait to see how she’ll be in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment