Thursday, June 25, 2009

My Letter to the Marines

To Whom It May Concern: Hello, I hope this gets to you in good health. My name is Jose Robinson and I am writing on my being of discharged from the Marine Corps. As much as I enjoy the idea of serving “the proud, the few, the Marines” I think I have found another course for my life. I am hopeful that it will work out for me. I apologize for being of inconvenience to you and the Marines as a whole. My reasons for requesting discharge are that I have been accepted to a University and I have decided to do another year of City Year. I have been accepted to the University of Detroit Mercy. In the beginning of last year I was unsure of my college/university plans. However, I was accepted and I have a greater chance of paying for it now, thanks to City Year. I am more confident in my chances and my financial aid that I will definitely take the opportunity that is open to me. I have already discussed it with the University of Detroit Mercy and the school has granted me admission as soon as I plan to attend it. With the University of Detroit Mercy I plan on graduating with a degree in Architecture and Engineering. I have decided to complete another year in City Year. This program has enticed my appetite to serve. I have always had the need to serve. That is why I once chose to serve with the Marine Corps. However, I have found a place in City Year. Being with City Year has opened my eyes to all the opportunities that there are in non-profits. With the training and knowledge I’ve received from this program I will be able to open doors that have once been closed to a male like me. I plan on doing another year with City Year Detroit. I have accepted their open arms with great gratitude. The University of Detroit Mercy has a space for my name on the Admissions list. I will pursue my educational career in order to receive the best schooling for future indications. With City Year I will continue on my path towards service. I will continue to “be the change in the world”. I have found my calling and I am just getting started. I do want to thank you for the opportunities I was given with the Marines. Yours in Peace, Jose Robinson

No comments:

Post a Comment