Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Once Been Told Pt 3

Great Moment:

I was told, "I'm older than you and you've taught me something."

Today I was driving around with 'O'. After getting some food from McDonalds I decided to stop by the Gas Station across the street. I went to get something to drink (an Arizona Half & Half Palmer Ice Tea) and to get some gas. When we got there an older man was sitting by one of the pumps. He had the look as all others who are like him. "Do you have some spare change?" I could read that question in his eyes. And I thought, "sorry, I have nothing." All this happened without any words being said, yet, we both understood what the other was saying. Before I head in he yells, "I'm just trying to get something to eat." "I understand. So am I."

I walk inside and pay for the drinks and the gas. I head back to the car with O behind me. Before I start pumping the car I give the man some spare change, as though an Irony for the sense I later shared with him. Then I begin explaining "Great Moments" to O. The man is still sitting where I first met him. I finish my explanation of Great Moments to O and the man suddenly says, "Sorry, I was listening to the conversation and I'm not understanding what you mean by what you're saying." So I decide to explain Great Moments again. At first its hard to explain it to him, but in the end he understands. "So ok, for example, since you gave me some money would that be a Great Moment?" "Is that a Great Moment for you." "I don't know, is it for you?" "Yes, I like giving. I enjoy that." "Ok, that's a bad example." So he begins to try to give another example. I stop him and say, "This right here is a Great Moment." "Why?" So I explain to him that how many people can say in their life they have stopped to have a good conversation. They have paused their day to have a good conversation. He begins to understand and we converse on the importance of knowledge. We talk about being "fruitful" and not in the sense that "they're just going around having sex" but in the sense that the mind is a seed. We must plant our own knowledge in other people because if we keep it to ourselves then it is dying. So after a while O and I cease the conversation and begin to get in the car.

Before I left he yells, "This is a Great Moment."

No comments:

Post a Comment